Friday, June 26, 2015

Adventures in CA

Grab a cup of coffee, this is going to be a long one…

OK, Fans, the post you have all been waiting for.  I have a 2 days of blog updates to do, and what feels like 4 days of events to cover.

When last you heard from us, we were heading out of Phoenix and o-dark-30 to beat the rush hour traffic and cross the desert before the heat.  Well, we accomplished that for the most part unless gusty 93 degree winds through the Palm Desert does not count as heat.  We now know why the placed what looks like 10,000 wind turbines in that desert valley –

Turbine photos… will load later..

Out goal that morning was to reach Yorba Linda by noon-ish to meet up with friend, retired co-worker and fellow car guy – Ed Hart.  Following a quick gas stop we rolled into Ed’s driveway at 12:30 on Wednesday.  LA traffic and all, we were right on schedule. 

Ed is a man of action, and knew we would want to get back on the road and out of the LA area before the real traffic hit, so we quickly got a drink, had a little car Chat, and staged a photo with our piece of classic engineering and his favorite new engineering marvel.  From 1963 P1800 to a 2014 Tesla – you be the judge –






We then parked the Volvo in his garage per the suggestion of his son and headed out for lunch in the Tesla.  Ed demonstrated for us that capability of on-demand-torque as we rocketed down the hill out of his neighborhood – 80 MPH in less than a ¼ mile?  - Ed what was that?  All I know, is I don’t recall such smooth and rapid acceleration since some of those roller coasters that Ben used to take me on at Disney and Universal, or maybe it was the downward acceleration of the elevator in the Tower of Terror, but much smoother and quieter.  Oh, yeah and the Tesla has AC J - yes, we could put AC in the Volvo, but I won’t…

We had a very nice lunch at a Deli down the road – Ed is always up for some state of the economy and predictions or personal insights for the future and having Joe there – the your aspiring college student – just fired up his natural tendency to mentor and advise even more.  In that short lunch, we covered some history of our work together, and discussions of Joe’s college plans and a number of other topics, but alas, we needed to get back on the road and not experience any more of that legendary LA traffic that was absolutely necessary.  Besides, after all of the AZ and CA desert crossings, we were really looking forward to some Pacific Coast roads and cool ocean breezes. 

Back to Ed’s house, a very brief visit with his wife, a reload of the cooler with ice and drinks and back on that road.  We arrived back at Ed’s house and the garage door was open, his wife had returned, and his son had departed.  We went inside, and she told us that she had opened the door and left it open because of the fumes – the garage smelled like her dad’s old car.  Not an unfamiliar smell, but in pristine garage that normally houses a Tesla and a Toyota Pries, that just did not work.  We spent a few more min discussing and admiring the car (the 1800 of course) reviewed our Google Map options for escaping LA in one piece, and then hopped in the car.  As we backed down the driveway and waved goodbye to the Harts, I see Ed walk to the edge of the garage and bend down and swipe the floor with his finger and inspect the result.  I think – yeah, our old car has slightly soiled his Tesla parking space…  Then he calls to us – Gas Leak! ---  Well, not one to ignore something that significant, I drive back up the driveway, and then think about it for a moment – we just filled the tank before we arrived at Ed’s house, and there is that overflow tube…  I say – “noting to worry about, we just filled up and there must have been a little overflow spill – sorry bout the mess, and we motor away. Little did we know, this was foreshadowing or our next 36 hours and our first real mechanical issue.

Now, I have to come clean – I have been holding out on all of you since basically day-1 of this trip.  Since the car was on the road, and certainly since day 1 of this trip, we have had this little nagging clunk in the rear end.  I attributed it to the excess slack in from my poor job of shimming the axel play following the replacement of an inner seal over the winter, but better to have a little extra play than too tight and have a wheel bearing bind or self destruct on a road trip.  Well, since NY State I have been listening carefully to this clunk, and it has been growing.  Also, there has been this vibration in the rear end “at slack” when the car is neither accelerating or engine breaking.  So, I have been teaching Joe to “keep it out of that slack zone” – to the point where he was getting frustrated with my reminding him. 

So I do believe it was maybe 3 days into the trip when I sent my first note to Mike Dudek at iRoll Motors in San Carlo CA – suggesting that we would like to have a couple ours on his lift for a “pit stop” at our approximate half way point mileage wise on the trip.  Little did we or Mike know how extensive that “pit stop” would end up being.  – but I am jumping ahead now…

Following Ed’s advice and ignoring some warnings from Google Maps about faster routes, we rolled fairly smoothly and un-eventfully through the Wednesday afternoon LA traffic on our way to Pismo Beach and ultimately San Luis Obispo, our planned stop for the night.  My concern over the progressively increasing rumble and thump from the rear end, and the LA traffic had me doing all of the CA driving at this point – 70 MPH bumper to bumper in 95 degree heat and LA insanity.  Somehow, Joe managed to sleep through most of this, occasionally waking up to see where we were and apply a few spritzes from the “AC system” my sister gave us back in Telluride.  As we crested a hill on the 101, caught a glimpse of the valley below, I swear the temperature dropped 20 degrees.  Still diligently checking gauges including fuel, we rolled on down and closer to the shore.  I was begging to smell and feel that familiar ocean air that we had not had since the VSA meet almost 3 weeks ago back in Newport – how refreshing…

As I caught my first glimpse of the Pacific ocean, I just had to wake Joe up for a photos.  Maybe not that spectacular, but the first sighting is the first sighting.  We still had 2 hours of driving to do, but that did not seem to matter, the excitement of reaching the Pacific coast, and the cool air that came with it wiped away all of the days road fatigue and I could not help but smile and admire ours and the car’s achievement. 

More ocean, blue water and sandy beaches came into view.  We slapped the Go-Pro up in the windshield to capture a few moments of this for the future slide and video show.  Once safely out of the LA traffic, we decided to do a quick stop for gas and drinks to plan the final miles of the day, locate dinner and a place to sleep, ideally in the same location.   As I fueled up at the Quick-Mart or whatever local fueling station this was this time, and diligently logged the stats into the app on my phone, and ever familiar event occurred – a woman pulled up along side us at the pump and said “I jut have to say, that is a beautiful car”.  She added more about the style and having lived through that era, made you appreciate them even more…  All I wanted to say was “yeah, but that clunk in the rear end is distracting me from all other aspects of the car.  Little did I know that there was an even more immediate issue fermenting at that moment. 

We grabbed a couple drinks, pulled the car over by the shaded picnic table near the convenience store and plotted out the rest of the day.  Not having acquired the Gazetteer for CA, we were relying on Google on our iPhones – not to self, buy Gazetteer for OR and WA – our goal for the day was San Luis Obispo, and we were just over an hour away now.  There seemed to be healthy choice of Motels in San Lui, so we settled on that destination and planned to call to confirm a room from the road in the next 30 min or so.  I continued doing the driving due to this nagging feeling that I attributed to the rear end issue still.  Out of the farmland and away from the shore, we headed up 54 cutting the corning of 101.  It  turned out to be a fun road with some nice smooth twisties and more vineyards along the way.  Sun getting low and air continuing to cool, the day was winding down nicely.  We rolled into San Lui and about 7:45, found our motel – Joe read reviews and called from the road to make the reservation just in case.

We checked in, and asked for a room on the ground floor.  The nice man who I am sure was the owner took our info, looked at the card I filled out, and glanced out the window – “Oh, you can park right out there, it is bigger space.  We don’t want you to have any scratch or bang, that is very expensive… Or, you can park in handicap spot out back by your room”.  I said I did not want to get in trouble, but he said – oh, no trouble…  I stepped out the office door where the car was parked to decide where to park, and then from the corner of my eye, I see a small wet spot on the ground just below the trunk – hmm…  not good, and I took a closer look, then down on my knees and stuck my head under – Yikes!!! Gas dripping, and not really a slow drip and a very large spot on the undercoating of the fuel tank that is the floor of the trunk was wet and beginning to peal away – double YIKES!!!  Ok, relax, this can be dealt with, pull the car over to the parking space for the night and assess the situation.  At first, it felt wrong to park in the handicap spot, so I pulled into one of the regular spaces, and we began to unpack as I assessed the tank issue.  It was dripping pretty fast – drip, drip… drip, drip..  a small puddle formed pretty quickly as the car was a quite a slant in this space tipping the tank toward the leak spot.  So, I decided that we could better manage the hydraulic pressure if the car was level.  As we continued to unpack, a couple came out of there room an strolled across the small parking lot and the woman lit up a cigarette!!!!  OK calm down, how to I say “I have a gas leak here, why don’t you not come over and admire our car with that fire stick in your hand”.  This time I was pleased when they did not seem to have much interest in admiring he car, and just strolled over out of the parking lot.  OK, now I moved the car to the flat handicap spot and checked the drip again.  It did not slow down, but at this point, we were both so hungry we just had to go find food, and I had agreed to see a move with Joe that night.  Both were walking distance from the motel, so I tried to put that leak and the later with the cigarette out of my mind…  that did not work of course.  I immediately began walking and Googling “Gas tank patches”, “immergency fuel tank repair…” etc.  by the time we walked to the restaurant 4 block away, I had seen 2 videos including one of a guy in the Australian out-back patching a punctured tank on a Suzuki SUV with a bar of soap, and some clay mud…  OK, that is just insane, we passed a Volvo dealer (Smith Volvo) on our walk to dinner, so I knew they would not have parts, but at least we may get some help and Volvo compassion in the morning when we woke up. During that same walk, I sent an email to Mike at iRoll letting him know about our situation, and asking if he had a new fuel tank in stock.  Did I mention, we were now only 2.5 hours from Mikes shop.





Quick email reply from Mike while we ate dinner “So, you are only 2.5 hours away, yes we have a tank in stock, and we can put that in for you.  The rear end may be a bit more involved.  Call me on my cell any time after 7:am and get to the shop as early as possible.”

Feeling a little better because my map showed 3.5 hours to Mikes place and he said 2.5.  Plus, now with a little food in my system, and a beer to calm the nerves I was beginning to relax.  As soon as we fond the fuel leak and I began to go into disaster recovery mode, Joe said – don’t worry, we will work it out – but I am just envisioning that woman with the cigarette coming over the admire the car, and up goes the car, the motel and all – BOOM!

Well, like I said, I promised Joe we would do a movie, and the theatre was just 3 blocks away now and the show (Jurassic World was his choice) was scheduled to start in 10 min.   Typical CA movie house – wine by the glass J, that will help with the stress, and if being chased by genetically enhanced dinosaurs does not distract you from car troubles, what will.  Of course I was critiquing the scene where they start up the 20 year old Jeep using the battery from the demolished Quad that the T-Rex stepped on.  They must not have a fuel leek, but that gas should be about the consistency of the tree resin they found the Dinosaur DNA in…  But of course it started.  I need to get me one of those fuel tanks.

After the movie we immerged from the fantasy world back into our reality, but it was a beautiful night in Northern CA, and we walked back to the motel past the restaurant, past the Volvo dealer trying not to think about what we were up against tomorrow.  All the time, I could not get that Aussie and his soap and mud tank patch out of my head.  All the other YouTube videos involved draining the tank, cleaning it with power tools, vinegar and applying compounds that had to cure for a day…  We had no time for that, and with the new tank only 2.5 hours away, waiting for us, that seemed like a lot of effort for a short fix.  We needed a fix that matched the distance to target. 

Soo exhausted by now, we entered our Motel room, and flopped down on the bed and I think I was asleep before Joe decided what he would watch.  Some half awake dreams about what we would do in the morning – driving 70 MPH down the 101 with a trail of gas behind us in brush fire season, did not seem like a great idea, but what alternative did we have?  At 5:30, I popped up in bead, and said to my self – why not, use what we have and since when did a YouTube video ever steer me wrong J.  I quickly dressed, no time for shower and brushing teeth, we had a situation on our hands, and we were 2.5 hours from the permanent solution. 

I went out into the parking lot to be sure that lady was not wandering around the lot having her morning smoke – the coast was clear.  Then to look under the car – I see a fairly large wet spot, but it is not flowing down the lot.  Gas does evaporate fast though.  At first I did not see any dripping – a self healing tank J, no, there it was, and half of the painted on wheel-chair symbol on the handicap space was peeling up from the fuel leak. 

Into my took box / steamer trunk I go, pulled out the bag with nitrile gloves and a rag and prepared to do the “soap patch”.  First test was can I wipe off the wet area and not make the hole even bigger?  How solid is this area of the tank, a pin-hole, or a complete blow out?  Some wiping and probing and it seems pretty solid.  I head back into the Motel room and grab a couple bars of that wonderful Motel soap.  More the constancy a cheap candle than a bar of soap, but in this case, that may be best.  Got my car work clothes on for the job of laying on the ground in a pool of gas and I proceed to rub and scrub the area around the leak to see how clean I can get it.  There are big areas of undercoating beginning to peal off, so I remove the loose stuff, and the – what the heck..  I take the first bar of soap and rub and press it into the are with the palm of my hand.  Let go, and hmm.. no drip.  Not completely convinced yet, I take the other bar, and break it in half and press, rub and apply more.  Now for the real test;  Sit there and watch it for a few min ----  no drip… could it be that crazy Aussy is onto something here?  Turns out the poor quality of that soap made it even easier to cover the area and fill the hole.  Still in a state of disbelief, I went into the room and woke Joe and said we need to get on the road now.  Not sure how long that patch will hold, and I want to get as much of Mike’s time as I can today on the tank and the rear end.  10 min to pack and Joe took a quick shower.  Check the tank again,  Still no drip.  Fingers crossed, we roll backward so we don’t ignite the parking space while starting the engine.  I set the parking break, get out and clean up the fuel puddle and soap shavings and we are off. 

Sorry, no photo of the car in front of this motel – we don’t want to get the bill for the resurfacing of the parking lot.

With the rear end clunking and whining more than ever, or at least in my mind it is.  We hit a Starbucks in town and hop back onto the 101 North.  I did not know it, but was pleased to discover that the entire 2.5 hours to Mike was down hill or flat, and that helped as rear end whine seemed to get worse by the mile.   Now I am watching the clock until 7:am when I can call Mike on his cell and get some idea what we are in for.  Joe goes back to sleep in the passenger seat.  He is getting good at that, I think I would have permanent injuries if I did that.

Of course you realize, this urgent detour to Mikes means we did not get to do Rt 1 up past Big Sir and all that beautiful PCH scenery : (


End installment 1 of 2-day catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment