Sunday, June 28, 2015

Rt 1 - Wow!

What can I say, we did a long stretch of Rt 1 yesterday from Muir Woods to Gualala, but little did we know, the best was yet to come.  

Up and down, out to the edge and back to the farms, the road wound around and along the coast all morning.  You can look at a map of CA, but never appreciate Rt. 1 until you drive it - note to self, need to do a Airhead BMW Ride out here one day - 

Joe got some practice on the twisties, and we did a lot of GoPro footage, because the stills just wont do is justice.  Sorry, but we are not really equipped to post GoPro footage on this blog now, we will post that stuff when we return home.  I have to say, my confidence in this car grows by the day, not the other way around.  Yes, it is a 1963 suspension system, so there was this guy in a Mercedes who provided some commentary about his personality when Joe took one of the pull-outs to let the followers pass - we thought they were just admiring the car :) - but, if you know what to do, and don't mind a little lean into the turns, she handles this stuff with a lot of guts and gusto.  

As we headed away from the coast on 199 away from Crescent City, the twisties got really fun.  We were keeping up with a couple other cars even on the climbs.  I can't wait to see that footage from the back seat perspective.  

Coming out of the hills, at the intersection of 199 and 101, we decided that we had to do the tree thing - see photo.  We had our picnic lunch at the tree, sitting on another fallen / cut "log" slightly larger than our car.  We enjoyed our loaf of Sour Dough from SF, with Cheese, mustard and alives from the local natural food store in Mendocino - another sticker for the case, and we hit the road. Joe took the wheel for the ride down the valley toward Grants pass. 




Crossed the border into Oregon mid afternoon and began plans for dinner and lodging.  We settled on Italian food in Grants Pass and the Royal Coachman Motel in Shady Cove on route to Crater Lake. 




I am writing to you from the garden table by the motel.  I have to say this is the best yet of the Motels on the trip.  Owner is third generation and moved from LA to take over the place.  Right on the river, and I did jump in the river before relaxing in the garden with a beer and a chat with Joe.  The temperature rose at least 30 degrees from the coast to here yesterday.  We had the windows rolled up, and were looking for long sleeves until we started heading down the valley to Grants Pass.  First time we even thought of AC since leaving LA.





As usual, I will let some photos tell more story from here.  We are up for an early breakfast, and hitting the road to Crater Lake with an ultimate target of Bainbridge Island for a visit with Jane and Pete tonight.  Can't wait to take the car on the ferry. 

Mileage check - ODO = 39,368, total mileage = 4,961

Changed out the spark plugs this morning.  Suspect random missing and weak hill climbs from fouled plugs left over from gas tank issue where coating was devolved into fuel system.  Check timing, and all the usual items.  Tires - still no need for air.  I think I have let more air out checking them than they have lost otherwise.  Tightened up the eBrake, never really had it adjusted properly after iRoll day.  Really want to get 15 min. on a lift to address a muffler bracket that is allowing the center muffler to hang low.  

photos - 

Who knew Redwoods would be the solution to our energy problems...

Mmmm  Breakfast...

I guess I am comfortable with Joe's driving skills now.


Love that park outside the door thing. 




No comments:

Post a Comment