Day two through New York and Pensilvania was just what I had hoped the back roads "Blue Highways" would be. You may think these roads would be slow, or stop and go, and in some towns you do have to stop, but I found the driving to be exceptional and the scenery spectacular.
We rolled on through the southern most Adirondack region - 60 MPH was easy, and slowed to 45 as we passed the villages and townships. We seemed to have the roads to ourselves this Saturday morning, I almost forgot what traffic was. Maybe less direct, and not 80 MPH, but that was fine by me.
As we rolled through each town and hamlet, noting the wonderful old town buildings and neglected but beautiful old houses - I love the variety of house and commercial building architecture you see in theses town. Today, with the cookie cutter D&D, Starbucks and Subway shops, you might think you were driving in circles and not know you had made to the next town.
While Joe explored his abandon places,mo explored the town center looking for that unique experience or treasure I could take along. Luckily, we have very little extra cargo space, so we will not be buying lots of souvenirs along the way. We have a small hard suitcase that serves as our tool and parts box. We are collecting stickers along the route to decorate the box like an old steamer trunk. We missed getting a PA sticker today. We will have to try harder to get one in every state from hear on out.
I have to say, my favorite part of the drive so far was the 20 miles twisty rolling 2 lane of 666 West through Alleghany National Forest following the river. Sort of the car version of kayaking that river I suppose.
It takes me a couple days to break away from the daily grind and adjust to a new rhythm, but I am getting there. I am trying to keep the car Karma positive and take what comes, but I have to admit to a constant vigilance listening to and monitoring gauges. Rock solid on oil temp pressure and water temp. I will have to double check the mileage as we begin Day 3, but I think we are doing well there too.
More later, and I promise more photos too. We need to find easier ways to post photos to the blog, the mobile app is a bit clunky on the phone screen, and my iPad needs wifi to post.
No comments:
Post a Comment