Blogging our journey from Restoration to Road Trip Joe and I will take my old treasure out of the shed, do a complete restoration and then drive coast to coast to coast. We will retrace the steps or a family road trip from NH to AZ. From Arizona, we will follow in the tire tracks of my father and his college buddies driving from Tucson to Seattle for the Worlds Fair. Join us for the journey...
Sunday, June 7, 2015
OK, a somewhat eventful weekend just before we depart...
I forgot that I had this little event with Ben and his girlfriend Emily and buddy Matt before Joe and I hit the road - The Tough Mudder New England - look it up if you are not familiar. Let's just say 10.1 miles and 19 obstacles later, I am still alive and ready for our road trip.
However, today as we went out for a leisurely practice drive, we encountered a couple of mechanical issues. I think the car is testing our resolve. As we started the car to return from our errand, a somewhat familiar sound came from the engine compartment - the starter motor stuck on. Normally a quick fix, but 20 min later after fiddling with the main power lead from the solenoid, we were back on the road. Well, first turn in the road - VERY soft break pedal - Yikes!! Not convinced, and trying to connect why working with the starter wire would cause such an issue with the brakes, I tested them a couple time as we proceeded home.
Long story short, we developed a leak in the line leading from the master cylinder to the T connection that splits the system to the front and real lines. If you know this car, you know it has a single channel brake system, so you lose one, you lose them all - Yikes again!! The cause was not a mystery - I hate mysteries. The cause was me putting too much pressure on the line as I reached into the engine compartment to work the wires on the starter. That combined with a really poor flare job done by a shop in Westford MA caused a leak.
I will always name those who provide positive support and results, but in case it is only one bad experience I will not publicly critique unless I have repeat issues with a services or supplier.
Limping home with some fancy footwork and hand brake maneuvers, we pulled into the garage and decided best to rest, clear our heads and come back to the repairs a little later in the day. Besides, it is Joe's (Elissa's father) Grandpas' 85th birthday party today, and we have prep work to do.
Following a wonderful little family party with Grandpa, Grandma, aunt Betsy and Gail, we rested, then I went out on a parts run for a piece of Nickel Copper brake line just in case, and a new crimp post for the solenoid. 2 hours later, all is well, and we left the bleeding of the lines for tomorrow.
And to think, all we planned to do on the car today was the oil and filter change. Well, Joe took care of the oil and filter while I did the wiring repair and then we worked the brake line together.
Quick thanks to the guys at Advance Auto Parts in Maynard MA for great service and having all the bits I needed, and Ace Hardware in Stow for the great selection of bolts and washers connectors that helped with the wiring fix.
Now, we need to do some packing plans.
Hope to post daily from now until departure, but I have to work this week too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment